Monday, September 26, 2011

Fantasy Football

Each week, when Sunday rolls around, my friends and I get excited for football, fantasy football. There are fantasy football leagues, and leagues commonly consisting of 10 people. Each player drafts a team of real NFL players in each position, and each team gains points based on how well their players do. My friends and I love fantasy football, and competing against one another, but I was thinking why? Fantasy football is a very common hobby, but how it came to popularity boggles me.

Why is it common to enjoy something that takes no effort at all. The competition between friends is one reason why this hobby has become so popular, but I think that the reason that this is so popular is because sports are built up so much in American society that when you can't become a professional, people choose the next best thing. Become a coach, and control the pros, and then when Sunday comes around, each game is meaningful and everything counts. Some people see it for what it really is, just a pointless game. They're probably right that a list of names on the internet probably doesn't mean anything, but I beg to differ. Its more than that, every Sunday, I become my own professional and each win is as great, and each loss is as tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment